Our team at Rachel Scheer Nutrition includes Registered Dietitian Nutritionists who are experts in the field of functional medicine.
Being experts, we receive questions about functional medicine and overall nutrition day in and day out.
But what are the TOP questions we receive?
And what are our answers? They might just surprise you. We’ve broken down our top questions on weight loss, nutrients, and healthy habits below. Let’s dive in!
Questions on weight loss
Weight loss is a tricky topic as we all want to feel our best. We want to reduce our weight so we can run faster with our children or grandchildren, feel less pressure or inflammation in our joints, and feel confident. As a result, our team receives hundreds of inquiries on the best ways to approach sustainable weight loss. What are the top 2?
- How do I lose weight without gaining it back?
- Weight loss and subsequent gaining is a common issue that our clients have faced. We know how frustrating it can be when you work hard in the gym and kitchen to lose weight… but gain it back later. Because of this, our team utilizes sustainable measures that make it manageable to focus on healthy habits for life. Weight is a sensitive subject and we aim to focus on a healthy mindset, nutrition, and fitness protocol to ensure overall wellness and a life free of dis-ease.
- Do tea detoxes, fruit juices, or other supplements help with weight loss?
- The simple answer is no! We find that clients who have sustainable, healthy weight loss often incorporate an anti-inflammatory diet or nutrition protocol catered to their needs. At Rachel Scheer Nutrition we also use extensive functional medicine laboratory testing to ensure that our clients’ nutrition is catered to their gut microbiome and lab results. This also ensures healthier weight loss, rather than using one-size-fits-NONE approaches.
Questions on macronutrients and micronutrients
Macronutrients refer to the major building blocks of our nutrition – protein, fat, and carbohydrate. These are all key to consume in various quantities so that we have energy throughout the day, our bones and muscles function best, and we can absorb proper vitamins and minerals. Those vitamins and minerals, also called micronutrients, help our bodies accomplish specific tasks that keep us healthy and happy.
What are the top 2 questions we receive in regards to macros and micronutrients?
- How much protein do I really need?
- There are mixed opinions on how much is “too” much protein, but what is for certain is that the Recommended Dietary Allowance for protein is much lower than what we want for optimal function! There is a difference between the minimum requirement and optimal intake! We recommend most of our clients aim for about 1g of protein per pound of their IDEAL body weight. You can also aim for 1g/lb of lean body mass, but that number is harder to get if you don’t have access to a scale that will test for that. Now, it is not just protein that is important, but the quality of that protein as well! When possible, make sure you prioritize beef that is grass fed AND grass finished, poultry that is pasture raised, and seafood that is wild caught!
- Do I need to take a probiotic?
- The honest answer is, it depends! Whether you should take probiotics or not, and which ones to take (there are SO many different types, brands, products) is dependent on your goals, your symptoms, your diet, and what’s going on inside your gut! For example, if you suffer from Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO) then a probiotic may not serve you best AND can exacerbate symptoms. On the other hand, some clients have better bowel movements and reduced bloating with a probiotic. It all depends!
Questions on healthy habits
Healthy habits are the key puzzle piece in bridging the gap between knowledge and action. They ensure that we use the information we’ve gained with the physical ability to sustain change. If we’re knowledgable, but fail to create a habit, then what good have we done for our health? Not much! As a result, healthy habits can ensure
What is the top question we receive on how to sustain healthy nutrition?
- How can I sustain healthy habits while eating out?
- Eating out can be a challenge but a necessary part of life! Whether you are at a family picnic, on a vacation with friends, or simply want a date night with your partner – eating out will always happen in some capacity. We recommend looking at the menu ahead of time so you can determine healthy options, bringing snacks along with you in case of emergency, and asking for condiments or dressings on the side (if you’re able).
Do you have more questions to ask our team of Registered Dietitian Nutritionists? Be sure to follow us on Instagram here and send us a direct message with any questions you have. We’ll be sure to steer you in the right direction to help on your journey to better wellness!
Rachel Scheer is a Certified Nutritionist who received her degree from Baylor University in Nutrition Science and Dietetics. Rachel has her own private nutrition and counseling practice located in McKinney, Texas. Rachel has helped clients with a wide range of nutritional needs enhance their athletic performance, improve their physical and mental health, and make positive lifelong eating and exercise behavior changes.